Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Merry Haitian Christmas

Christmas morning glow

This was the view of the center of the complex as I walked to work on Christmas morning.  It was peaceful and breathtaking.  I'll admit, without the familiar scenes of Christmas - snow, lights, music, presents, food, family - it didn't really "feel" like Christmas.  But rather, I experienced a much more realistic atmosphere of what that first Christmas - the night Christ was born - might have been like: a view of simple one room dwellings, cows and roosters making themselves known around me, the beginnings of just another day. No one was out doing last minute shopping, cooking a great feast or putting a puzzle together next to the fireplace (actually, thinking of a fireplace right now is far from appealing!) But they were exclaiming Christ's name and singing praises to Him.  Christmas highlight for me this year is singing and dancing with the nannies and kids.  A few of the kiddos received toy musical instruments for Christmas, and I am not sure who is enjoying them more - the kids or the nannies!  After I finished giving meds on Christmas evening, the nannies began playing the instruments, singing and praying while we all danced around, laughed and shouted.  It was a beautiful scene.    

Other scenes from my Christmas include:

Little Christmas tree and stockings!


Meet Ella!  Our cat and my Christmas companion since
 both of my roommates are home


Skyping with the family and drinking hot chocolate

Joyeux Noel!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your world, Kerry. I so appreciate your heart.

    ReplyDelete