Friday, August 1, 2014

A Pinch and a Punch!!

A fun part of getting to know someone is learning the traditions/customs/crazy habits of their family and childhood. A unique part of growing up is experiencing some of those things change. As siblings get married and move away, there are certain traditions that have been altered or adjusted in our family as they create their own families. Some traditions simply changed over time because we are older and bigger (like sitting together on mom and dad's bed on Christmas morning....doesn't quite work as well with grown adults!) However, one tradition in this household that has never ceased to exist and has been adopted by new family members, is that of our monthly "Pinch and a Punch!" game.  For the first time ever, I googled that phrase today and determined that, according to some sources, the "game" is actually of English origin! Not even entirely sure if my parents remember how/why we started playing it, but we're of English heritage, so it seems appropriate! *Edit: My mom confirmed that it was my English Grandmother, her mother, that brought this tradition to our family* 

Played on the first day of every month, it is exactly what it sounds like....we run about pinching and punching each other whilst yelling "A PINCH AND A PUNCH FOR THE FIRST OF THE MONTH AND NO RETURNS!"  Or it is done quietly, so as not to alert others of your position and therefore allowing greater opportunity for sneaking up on other unsuspecting...or very much suspecting...members of the household. 

I can recall some first days of the month being quite rambunctious. There is a feeling of suspense in the house as you approach every doorway cautiously in case there is someone waiting on the other side, pincher and puncher ready.  Screeches and squawks are heard from somewhere in the house as someone falls victim, footsteps pounding as others scatter. If the attacker can say "and no returns" fast enough, then retaliation is illegal. But it most certainly almost always happens anyway.  Other months, everyone seems to wake up oblivious, like the new month snuck up on all of us. The morning goes about as usual until suddenly someone remembers and it's a free-for-all of punching and pinching, screaming and laughing. No one is safe.

As we've grown and gone our ways, we've still managed to continue the life-long game.  If we are not home, it becomes a race to see who can text each other the phrase first.  Though clearly not as fun or aggressive, it still causes me to moan and then smile if I receive a "PINCH PUNCH" text from one of my siblings. In a strange way, it's kind of comforting as it connects us all back to home, to that tradition. It's like saying "Hey, I love you and I miss you" on the first day of every month. But even if I am not home, that doesn't stop me from spreading "PINCH PUNCH" hysteria to those around me. I've found a few blessed people along the way who also grew up playing the game, so I have to be careful if I am near any of them. My college roommate finally caught on after I faithfully (annoyingly, according to her) got her every month. She always punched back. And I always receive a scattering of texts or Facebook posts "pinching and punching" me from people who I've influenced along the way. 

It's a little weird, yes, maybe even barbaric if you really think about it.  But it's fun. And consistent. And just brings a little joy to the day. I know telling you all this may make me victim to more pinches and punches each month. But maybe it will also just make you think about the random, crazy and whimsical things you do with your kids or with your family and encourage you to keep doing them.

My family.
Don't worry, we don't pinch and punch the babies....yet.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post. and since i haven't gotten you yet. Pinch and a PUNCH! David woke up this morning, said. "I love you, do you know that" i replied "yes" then he said. "That being said, pinch and a punch" : )

    ReplyDelete