Thursday, May 1, 2014

Next Chapter

This post coming at you from the state (country?) of Texas! My commitment to Children of the Promise in Haiti ended last Thursday. Don't worry, you didn't miss me announcing my departure in a previous post - I think I was a little in denial up until the night before, to be honest. But it' has happened and I am back in the states, with no return date in the near future. I think that is what made it hardest...telling the nannies I was leaving and hearing them ask again and again, "When will you return?" I had no answer. "Someday...maybe...God knows."  "Then we will pray for you to return," was almost always their response. 

When I originally set out for Haiti, it was initially a three month commitment, which at that time seemed like a long time. Now, seven months later, I feel like I left prematurely. So while I am sad about the end of that short chapter in my life, I am so thrilled to be where I am now.

I think I announced back in a post around New Years that I am going to become an auntie this year.... x 2!  Both of my sisters are expecting THIS MONTH and I am just giddy with joy. My younger sister and her husband are living outside of Chicago. Before flying to Texas, I flew first into Chicago where my parents met me and then together the three of us surprised my sister.  She had NO IDEA I was coming and the reaction was priceless.  Still makes my eyes misty. After a weekend there, I flew to Texas where my older sister is currently living with her husband. They are both currently finishing a graduate program and I am here to help manage house and home and sanity during these final days pre-baby and then for about another month post-baby.

Everyone keeps saying what a blessing that will be to them, but I just keep thinking what a blessing it is to me!  I am loving the intentional time with my sister and bro-in-law before the baby arrives. I am thrilled to be able to help out and spend some extended time with my new niece/nephew (it is a surprise!)  I am relieved for this time to decompress and debrief after being in Haiti. I am at peace with this next chapter.

This doesn't mean I am done blogging about Haiti though, or blogging in general! There are a few posts I started and never published. There's still some stories I want to share. And there may even be things that come up down the road that will need some processing. Stay tuned if you're interested.

1 comment:

  1. Stateside!!! Wish I could be there for the debriefing and decompressing :)

    ReplyDelete