Sunday, October 13, 2013

"Gras a Bondye"

"Bonju! Koman ou ye?"
"Mwen byen, gras a Dye!"

That's what a majority of my conversations look like at the moment.  I greet and ask "how are you?" They respond with "I'm good, thank God!"  Everytime.

People don't talk like that in America. In fact, it is quite possible that if someone asked me "how are you" and my response was "I am doing well.  Praise the Lord!" they might be uncomfortable and even take offense that I was giving praise to a God that they might not believe in. 

But here, it's routine, as if it is part of the greeting itself.  And however routine and expected those few words are in the short exchange, every time I hear them, it refocuses me and reminds me to thank the Lord for all things.  I love that. 

Spirituality is so present in this place.  Being so new here, I am just beginning to learn things about this culture and in no way claim to know or really understand anything, but I do sense that here is at least a  general awareness of God and the spiritual realm amongst most people.  It seems as though most Haitians would acknowledge that they believe God exists...whether or not they actually worship Him is an individual matter, but they do believe He is real.  And that angels and demons are real.  Aside from the fact that everyone gives praise to God multiple times a day when greeting each other, I have experienced two other very vivid examples of this reality in the short three weeks that I have been here so far.  Both examples involve drums.  The first occurred one of the first nights I was here, when I was kept awake the entire night by sporadic but consistent drumming happening very close by to where I live.  I learned later that it was voodoo drumming.  Voodoo is a very active and very present practice by some in this culture.  Though it is not glorifying to God or a practice of Christianity, it still acknowledges that the spirit world is very much real and active.  The second example occurred just tonight when I enjoyed listening to the nearby sounds of singing and drumming.  Though it was being sung in Creole, I recognized one of the tunes as an old Hymn that I grew up singing at church.  One of the nannies confirmed for me that it was worship songs that were being sung.  God glorifying songs echoing throughout the entire village.  Gras a Dye!

In other news: I got a Haitian market experience this past week!

 
Traveling Haitian style in the back of the pick up truck. 
 A sack of rice was my seat.
 

 
Attempting to balance my purchases on my head like the Haitian women do. 
Haven't mastered that yet - have to do it hands free to be legit!   

1 comment:

  1. The kids loved seeing you with the bucket on your head! I think they're going to try it! In light of this post I'll be praying Ephesians 6 for you this week!

    ReplyDelete