Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Living in Focus

My life has theme songs.  I am sure yours does, too.  Those songs that, when you hear them, instantly bring you back to memories of a specific place or person or time in your life. The lyrics don't even necessarily pertain to anything, it's just the song itself that is attached to the event or circumstance. And sometimes, the lyrics are the relating factor. That's the case with my current "theme song."

Since leaving Haiti and now more recently returning from Africa, I sometimes ask myself, "So, now what?" I've experienced things, learned things, seen things and met people that have affected my life. So...now what? What am I going to do about that? How will I live my life in light of those impacts? How have I changed? Are those changes reflected in me - in what people see? In the way I speak and act? In the things I pursue? What AM I passionate about?

But as I pondered those questions, I wondered if maybe I haven't really changed. Not really. I'm still Me. But perhaps I've just become more Me. More certain about what already existed - my passions, my strengths and weaknesses, my faith. Refined finer by these experiences into the person God designed me to be. So it isn’t a matter of trying to assess and define and become this person I think I should be after experiencing those things….but rather, of just continuing to be Me, and continuing to allow every experience, not just those abroad, to refine me. Because underneath every action exists one foundation and motivation - Christ. To Know Christ and Make Him Known. Pursuing all things through that vision, that identity, is what will ultimately change me, forming me into His image.

That said, the song that's become my anthem in this season of my life is "Fix My Eyes" by For King and Country. Like an answer to my “so now what?” ponderings, the song presents the reminder to keep the focus on God. Because I can travel the world and see and do lots of note-worthy things by worldly standards, but if I don’t fix my eyes on God above, then all those things, all those “changes” in me, are worthless.

...Love like I’m not scared, Give when it’s not fair
Live life for another, Take time for a brother
Fight for the weak ones, Speak out for freedom
Find faith in the battle, Stand tall but above it all
Fix my eyes on You, I fix my eyes on You

The things of Earth are dimming
In the light of Your glory and grace
I’ll set my sights upon Heaven
I’m fixing my eyes on You


No comments:

Post a Comment